Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Whirlwind Week

There are three annoyances to this week already. Illness, politics and mudslinging. It's just that time of year. I hate this time of year. I love spring, just not the political vitriol and allergies and just plain good old fashioned spring flu/colds.

Back up for two seconds. Let me put a list of synonyms up for VITRIOL: acidity, acidness, acridity, acridness, asperity, bile, bitterness, cattiness, corrosiveness, mordancy, tartness, virulence, virulency, and acrimony

I HATE politics. Don't get me wrong I get involved with educating myself and trying to weight the candidates and actually get out and vote. We grew up and were told and I believe it through and through: If you give up your right to vote, you've given up your right to complain. I hate how it also is tearing the country down piece by piece. It's tearing families apart. People are getting into heated debates. It's lately a match of who's muscles are bigger.

I remember as a kid we used to joke about "my daddy can beat up your daddy". Or doggy, mommy, sissy or brother. Whatever we wanted to use at the moment and by the time we were done we'd be rolling over laughing. It was getting past our anger to silliness.

Where is that now? Now it's my candidate is right for the job. Mudslinging. Misinformation left and right. All the anger and none of the OK the vote is done, let's get back to work TOGETHER. I said I wouldn't discuss political views here, and I won't.

Regardless of who you voted for it's more about moving forward. I am so glad that we live in a country where we CAN exercises our right to free speech. That we can do something if we are in the mood to claim a vote of no confidence. But there comes a point when you don't want to turn on the TV or the radio. Picking up a paper or surfing local news as it's everywhere.

There needs to be more truth in advertising with political ad campaigns. There needs to be more facts and less opinions in them. And it needs to be straight facts not opinion spun facts.

Add to all this political mumbo jumbo out there lately and a season allergy induced migraine and a daughter with a gastrointestinal virus... makes for one very nauseated day or so. I guess my blog isn't much sense today... except I see our country spinning out of control and more divided.

It's time we step up together. We start to work together. It's time to shake hands and move forward. It will have to work itself out. If we spend all our time and energy fighting each other, when will we start to work towards unity.

It's been said by Lincoln: A house divided against itself cannot stand. When are we going to learn. We are the siblings in the schoolyard picking on each other. Will it really take another clobber by someone outside of our "house" for us to realize that? Then it's all about that's MY sibling. No one can pick on that one but me.

I have but one question to ask, how many will suffer before we stand together? Perhaps we really look long and hard for some middle ground. I'll leave you with the Lincoln quote:

America will never be destroyed by the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment